Businesses have realized the importance of having an expert handling their business development. No matter which industry you work in, it’s crucial for your business to have someone handling the lead generation process. That’s why every business needs an exceptional lead generator! (Again. Stating the obvious). In this blog, we are going to talk about who a lead generator is and the responsibilities that come with the role. Let’s get right into it.
Table of Contents
Who is a Lead Generator?
A lead generator is a person hired for attracting more people to your business. They are responsible for creating, maintaining, and keeping track of leads.
Leads are people who are potential clients for your business. People who are interested in buying your services or products. A lead generator is a person who works for establishing the lead generation process of your business. A lead generator keeps the company in business by deploying smart and efficient lead generation strategies.
Lead generation process is the fuel running a company – a lead generator is the driver of that process. Since he is responsible for giving direction to where the leads should come from.
Which marketplaces to tap and where to look for the customers? How to look for potential customers? And the best strategies to convert them into paying clients? A lead generator is answerable to all these questions.
What Does a Lead Generator Do?
The role of a lead generator is to make a lead generation plan that tells how to generate leads. This plan is more than often segregated into different steps also called funnels. Now, what are these steps for?
These steps are designed to mark the current status of a lead and to identify where each lead lies in the lead generation funnel. Because some leads are more interested in your business than others and it’s important to handle every lead in a different manner.
For example, Lead A is enthusiastic about your product, let’s say a vending machine. He is asking for the rate of a hundred vending machines and looking to sign a long-term contract. And there’s Lead B acquiring information about discounts and future deals on your products. Both of these leads cannot be contacted with the same email template asking them to simply buy your product.
That’s where lead generation funnels come. A lead generator makes these funnel steps keeping in mind, how to contact each potential client at different stages of the sales funnel to convert them into paying customers. So Lead A will be shifted to “Hot Lead” funnel step, it will notify the sales department and a call will be scheduled with that lead as soon as possible to convert them into a client. Whereas, Lead B will be subscribed to your “Promotions” Email campaign to keep them up to date regarding your future deals.
All this planning and funnel creation is done by a lead generator.
You might also want to read: What is Lead Generation?
Lead Generator Job Description
The role of a lead generator is a mixture of both: marketing and sales.
And whenever these two words are used together, patience comes in handy. This role demands patience and consistency to look for new opportunities. A lead generator specialist needs to have planned out different strategies for generating leads. And converting them into clients.
Believe us when we say that there is no perfect marketing strategy out there. Every business operates and makes sales in different ways. That’s why it is a lead generators job to really dig up the industry they are looking to target and acquire information about it.
Research and analysis are the two best friends of any lead generator. One cannot make informed decisions without having the right and accurate data.
Contrary to the popular belief that a lead generator just looks for more leads. They actually have to access the target audience‘s needs, their behaviour, and how they purchase products. Do your potential consumers buy products online, do they look for testimonials, and what’s the average spending of your consumers in the market? And the most important part – what is the best way to make contact with your leads? All these statistics need to be looked at by a lead generator when making the lead generation plan.
What Are the Roles and Responsibilities of a Lead Generator
Different companies and industries have varying requirements for a lead generator. To excel in the lead generation executive role, you must be familiar with the following responsibilities:
- Develop new business via different modes of marketing (Email campaigns, cold-calling, running ads with geofencing, influencer marketing, rebate campaigns, traditional marketing campaigns, etc.)
- To develop more business, a lead generator is responsible for making a lead generation plan. This plan should be made up of funnel steps.
- Doing follow-up on the leads captured. Having a marketing funnel helps in making the customer’s journey more efficient. And it also helps in the follow-up process
- Conducting research and analysis of consumer needs and how to fulfil them. Researching on customer demands is one of the most crucial tasks for any lead generator since it directly affects the conversion rate and quality of leads
- Find out the best way for contacting leads. If you have a great plan, you have done your homework but you have not figured out a way to actually make contact with your leads. It’s all futile
- Meet the Quarterly Revenue Goals that are set by the sales department in order to grow business
- Communicate efficiently regarding the progress and hurdles to the person in command
- Manage and maintain the data coming from leads in a CRM (Customer Relationship Management) tool
- Formulate monthly sales and lead data reports to document the progress and conversion rates. These reports are then analyzed for making the lead generation process more efficient by studying the shortcomings and trends.
Some Important Tips for Lead Generators
We have been working in the lead generation industry for more than seven years now. This role can become exhausting at times. Here are some tips for you that we have experienced ourselves to be effective and useful for this role:
- Be confident in your abilities: Do not hesitate from trying out different strategies and sticking to them. Lead generation demands patience and resilience. So do not shy away from testing out different things since there is no single lead generation process that is perfect and works for every business. The trick is trying out different things, and having the patience to wait for the results
- Communicate progress: It is essential to track and deliver progress report on a daily basis to your team lead. Believe us when we say that the right form of communication can get you places where nothing else will.
- Use the best lead generator tools: For best results, make use of the most efficient tools are in the market. For more information on this, you can check out our other article on the best lead generation tools in 2023.
- Research, track, maintain and learn: This is the cycle that you should be following.
We hope that this article helped you get a better idea about who is a lead generator and what he/she does . If you have any questions or recommendations for us, you can write them in the comments section below.
Usama is a marketing automation consultant and author who loves to talk about digital marketing and it’s applications.